International Photo Contest IWEMM9
Mushrooms, humans and nature in a changing world
An English idiom says that “a picture is worth a thousand words.” By participating in this contest you are contributing to show the beauty of wild edible mushrooms, their importance for people, their paramount interest in nature conservation, and you are also documenting the changes that are occurring as a consequence of climate change and its impact on fungal biodiversity. Your main contribution is therefore to dream of making a better world for humans, nature and mushrooms.
The IWEMM9 Photo Contest is open to any interested person who is at least eighteen years old.
The Photo Contest begins at 12:00am EST on January 1, 2017 and ends at 11:59pm EST on May 30, 2017.
WHAT TO ENTER
The IWEMM9 is committed to a future for mushrooms, people and nature and we want to see it through your eyes. For our 2017 Photo Contest, we would like to know how you see through your photos the diversity of edible ectomycorrhizal mushrooms and truffles in natural conditions or in cultivation, the biocultural importance of edible mushrooms and truffles, the tiniest details of edible wild mushrooms and truffles, or their ectomycorrhizas, and how climate change is affecting the edible ectomycorrhizal mushrooms’ diversity. Capture those unique moments and express what they mean to you!
Please submit files no larger than 20MB with recommended resolution of at least 240 dpi/ppi. All photographs should accurately reflect the subject matter and the scene as it appeared. Photos that have been digitally altered beyond standard optimization (removal of dust, cropping, reasonable adjustments to exposure, color and contrast, etc.) are not acceptable. Recommended formats are .JPEG, .jpg, or .tiff.
HOW TO ENTER
You may enter up to four photos for the competition.
Caption information should include:
- Title of the photo
- Name of author
- Age of author, relevant to the two categories: i) between 18 and 25 years old, or ii) over 25 years old.
- Location: name of location and country (e.g. Chuxiong, China)
- Caption of subject matter no more than 30 words in length, explaining what you want to express.
- Category in which you would like to compete (according to any of the seven categories mentioned below).
Photos will be judged on originality, technical excellence, composition, overall impact, artistic merit and relevance to the subject matter. Judging will be conducted by a panel of professional photographers, and distinguished members of the International Committee of the IWEMM9. The Panel will evaluate all valid entries and pick the following winners in the following categories:
- Wild or cultivated mushrooms and truffles (1 winner) Selected by the panel of experts.
- Mushrooms, truffles and nature (1 winner) Selected by the panel of experts.
- Mushrooms, truffles and people (1 winner) Selected by the panel of experts.
- Mushrooms and truffles in a changing world (1 winner) Selected by the panel of experts.
- Young Photographer (1 winner): A vibrant moment of living in nature, taken by an 18 – 25 year old, selected by a specialized group of young attendees to the IWEMM9.
- People’s Choice (3 winners): Selected from the photos with the highest number of likes received on the Facebook page up to June 15, 2017. This is the only category opened worldwide, including those who will not be able to attend the IWEMM9 in Mexico. The winner will receive their certificate in electronic form to the email address that he/she provides.
Honorable mentions will be chosen by the panel of experts and awarded contestants will be notified of their status before the IWEMM9. Their pictures will be printed and displayed during the IWEMM9, on Tuesday 11 and Friday 14, 2017 during a panel entitled Mushrooms of the World at Colegio de Postgraduados, in Texcoco, Mexico. The 3 winners of the People´s choice will also be part of this exhibition.
All the other category winners will be announced during the Closing Ceremony of the IWEMM9 on the afternoon of Friday July 14, 2017.
The prizes from categories 1 to 5 ( and those from category 6 who will attend the IWEMM9 in Mexico) will consist of: i) an international certificate signed by distinguished members of the International Committee of the IWEMM9 recognizing the originality and international contribution of your work; ii) diffusion of your work, with your author credit within the international community attending the IWEMM9; iii) your framed photo; and iv) a surprise Mexican prize (it can be a book, a beautiful traditional Mexican handcraft, a bottle of tequila, etc.).
The prize for category 6 winners who will not be able to attend the IWEMM9 will be an international certificate signed by the distinguished members of the international Committee of the IWEMM9 recognizing the originality and international contribution of your work. Winning photos, with author credit, will also be displayed on all relevant publications of the IWEMM9.
You will retain all your copyrights to any photograph that you submit, including ownership if applicable.
If you submit a photograph to enter to the International Photo Contest IWEMM9
“Mushrooms, humans and nature in a changing world,” you agree with the following conditions:
- The display of your photograph with author credit on the IWEMM website (www.iwemm9-texcoco.com)
- Permission for third-parties to share the photograph with your author credit, on the IWEMM Facebook page (www.facebook.com/IWEMM9/)
- If your photograph is formally honored by the competition as a winner or an honorable mention, you grant the IWEMM9 with the right to use your picture with your author credit in any publication related with the IWEMM9.
Questions and inquiries about contest rules can be emailed to email@example.com